Dr. Nowzaradan, or Dr. Now, is famous for his radical approach to help overly obese people achieve a significantly slimmer and healthier body. Through his reality television program “My 600-lb Life,” he gives real and realizable hope to people who apparently have no hope anymore to overcome their obesity. His assistance is accomplished through both surgical approaches, mostly in the form of gastric bypass surgery and sleeve gastrectomy, and post-surgery Dr Nowzaradan diet plan.
Dr. Nowzaradan’s approaches are not exclusive, so you don’t actually need to appear in his reality show in order to reduce your excessive weight. Because his plan basically consists of surgical treatment to remove your belly fat and post-surgery diet plan, you only need to know how all involved procedures work as well as their benefits and risks. Any doctors and surgeons capable to do those procedures can help you be slimmer and successfully practice it, post-surgery diet should not be a problem.
Dr Nowzaradan diet plan: Dr. Nowzaradan’s Gastric Bypass Surgery and Sleeve Gastrectomy
Dr. Nowzaradan’s gastric bypass surgery and sleeve gastrectomy, collectively called bariatric surgeries, are different surgical procedures that basically limit and reduce the functional volume of the stomach, allowing patients to significantly reduce their meal portion, to suppress their appetite, and to accelerate the reduction of their body weight.
Despite their similar goal, gastric bypass surgery and sleeve gastrectomy are two different procedures. Gastric bypass surgery includes a number of varied procedures, including Roux en-Y (RYGB, proximal), Roux en-Y (RYGB, distal), mini gastric bypass, and endoscopic duodenal-jejunal bypass. They use specific techniques, but in general, all of those procedures basically divide the stomach into partitions, thereby restricting the amount of food that can be eaten.
Sleeve gastrectomy is another surgical procedure whose aim is to reduce the size of the stomach; however, unlike gastric bypass surgery that partitions stomach cavity, it removes a significant part of the stomach, transforming the pouch-like stomach into sleeve-like tract. Due to the reduction of stomach’s volume, the amount of food that can be eaten is also significantly reduced.
Benefits and Risks
Bariatric surgery procedures have the following advantages and disadvantages.
- Bariatric surgery helps reduce weight by limiting the amount of food that can enters the stomach.
- Bariatric surgery helps control various diseases involving poor eating habit, such as gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- Bariatric surgery helps control diseases caused by obesity, such as cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.
- Bariatric surgery offers effective solution when other weight-loss programs, including diet and exercise, fail.
- Surgery may go wrong and post-surgical accidents, including bleeding, infection, blood clots, and leak, may occur.
- Even a successful surgery cannot guarantee the success of weight-loss program.
- Long-term side effects, such as dumping syndrome, bowel obstruction and malnutrition, may occur.
- Dr Nowzaradan diet planthat patients must adopt after surgery can be considered strict.
Before you attempt to use bariatric surgery to help achieve better result in your weight-loss program, you should consult your doctor to find out whether this surgical procedure is the best solution for your weight-loss program. After you get the surgery, be sure that you monitor what you eat because there is a diet plan that you have to follow after the surgery.
What to Expect from Dr Nowzaradan diet plan
Post-surgical diet plan that Dr. Nowzaradan outlines is meant to help you adapt to a new eating habit that is considered safe for your recently operated stomach, effective for reducing your weight while keeping you energized, and convenient enough for you to follow.
- By following the plan, you will eat food that will not cause harm to your newly operated stomach. Wrong food may damage the stitches and cause leak, which can be dangerous for your health and render the operation useless.
- Dr. Nowzaradan’s plan helps you get used to eating food that your smaller stomach can safely digest.
- Dr Nowzaradan diet plan includes substances and nutrients that help accelerate the process of post-surgical healing and recovery.
- The diet plan supplies your body with nutrient-rich foods that low in fat, calorie and sugar to allow you to achieve better weight-loss results.
- Dr. Nowzaradan’s diet plan is expected to be a comfortable plan that allows you to eat delicious foods without having to harm your stomach and to foil your weight-loss program.
Dr Nowzaradan diet plan
The diet plan basically encourages patients to eat foods that are high in nutrients and low in unhealthy fat and sugar. Fat and sugar are especially proscribed because they are not only unsuitable for weight-loss diet, but also because they may cause problem with the operated stomach.
Foods that are rich in fat and sugar cannot be digested effectively by the narrow stomach, causing problems like dumping syndrome. Here is the summary that you should be aware of.
Carbohydrate is the source of energy and fiber and must come only from whole grains and not refined ones. The amount of grain that must be consumed is 6-7 ounces for men and 5-6 ounces for women per day.
Protein is needed to ensure proper structure and function of all living cells in the body. Protein may come from any sources, but men and women should limit the amount of any protein sources to eat at about 6-8 ounces and 4-6 ounces per day respectively.
Fat is the source of calorie and only healthy monounsaturated fats coming from fishes, nuts, and seeds are accepted in this diet.
Vegetables and Fruits
Vegetables and fruits are the sources of vitamins, minerals and other healthy nutrients. Both men and women need approximately 5 to 9 servings of vegetables and fruits every day.
Fiber helps improve digestion. Men require about 25 to 35 grams of fiber every day whereas women need about 20 to 25 grams per day.
3 cups of fat-free or at least low-fat dairy products per day are needed by both men and women. Women especially need to fortify their dairy consumption with calcium and iron to prevent osteoporosis and blood-related problems.
Sugar and Salt
Sugar must be avoided as much as possible (though small amount of sugar that is not consumed on daily basis is allowed) and salt must be limited to about 2300 milligrams per day.
By following Dr Nowzaradan diet plan faithfully, you can expect positive weight-loss result from both the surgery and the subsequent diet plan.